Doubts

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Wed Feb 25 20:38:33 CET 2004

Hell everyone!

Mickey:

Mouse

Do you mean, the first time they appeared together in a comic strip or a
comic book?

Pete first appeared in "Mickey Mouse in Death Valley" (April 1 - Sept 20,
1930-- the second continuity) on April 12 (in silhouette) and April 21 (for
real). His name, "Pegleg Pete", was first mentioned on April 24.
He appeared again in a few continuities, several months apart (like Scrooge,
who didn't become a main character overnight).
Pete was "redesigned" for "The Captive Castaways" (Jan 10 - April 17, 1934),
in which he first appears on February 21.
The design was slightly reworked in "Editor-in Grief" (March 4 - June 1,
1935), which he first appears on April 6; on March 28, one of  his henchmen
referred to him as "Looey, the Leg"-- a bit larger.

Pete really does have a peg leg. He got a whole new artificial leg in "The
Mystery at Hidden River" (Oct 6, '41 - Jan 17, '42)-- a "new model store
leg" (Oct 21). Gottfredson explained the peg leg had been dropped in the
cartoons because it looked painful-- especially as the animators captured
too well teh way the weight shifted from one leg to the other. Pete kept his
nickname.

I think it's simply because the town was baptized by the authors
(Taliaferro? Barks?) before Barks invented Cornelius Coot.

Olivier