Scarpa and "Duck Tales"

Francesco Spreafico frspreaf at tin.it
Fri Feb 27 21:17:47 CET 2004

Lars Jensen wrote:

> Thanks, Francesc... uh... Laz. Why did Scarpa do this? Did he want to
> become an animator on the show?

Oops I used the wrong name, sorry.

Anyway, I have a little bit more time to answer now...

Scarpa had made a short (6 minutes) cartoon named "Camminata Disney" in
1982, it used to air at the beginning of a TV show named "Topolino show",
that was a Saturday afternoon show, with games for kids, artists drawing
Disney characters live (I think I remember Marco Rota there) and Disney
toons.

This short toon was brought to Burbank and the result was a licence to
produce Disney animation in Italy.

But US animators weren't that happy about this (maybe not only for Italy, I
guess Japan might have something to do with it too, but I'm not sure about
that), and so there was a long strike... the result was no Disney animation
in Italy.

Some years later though, Scarpa tried again and made this short clip based
on short scene sent to him from Burbank. Once again it was approved, but
there just was no way to arrange a crew here in Italy who could work at the
fast pace required for Duck Tales, so eventually nothing really happened.

(For the details, thanks to the book "Sognando la Calidornia")

Francesco
http://www.dimensionedelta.net