DCML Digest Issue 10

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Jan 10 14:27:53 CET 2004

> From: "Matthew Williams" <kingofduckburg at apptechnc.net>
> Subject: Uncle Scrooge at Webfoot Tech
> I was thumbing through some old comics a while back, and I think I came
> across a bit of Barks Scrooge history that wasn't in "The Life
> and Times of
> Scrooge McDuck" (at least I don't remember it in there).  In "September
> Scrimmage" (originally published in Mickey Mouse Almanac 1, 1957), Scrooge
> reveals that he played football at Webfoot Tech.  On the second
> page of the
> story, he talks about playing "1870 football."  I'm not much of a football
> nut, but I really like the thought of Uncle Scrooge going to college

I was well aware of this story when I did my "Lo$". But "my" $crooge
certainly never went to college. He didn't have the money and he didn't have
the time and he wasn't even in America during those years. I simply regard
that as a Barks story that can't possibly fit into his own continuity or
circumstances or his other stories and which I chose to disregard, such as
"The Magic Hourglass"... or I see it as a story where $crooge is bragging
about something that never really happened like the tale of the gold field
where it was so hot the gold was melting... or, since the story appeared in
a special issue, that the story was written by someone else such as the
screwy tales that Barks drew but did not write that appeared in books like
"Grandma's Farm Friends" in FOUR COLOR comics (even if that's not the case).
But whatever the case, "my" $crooge McDuck did not go to college, and was,
in fact, a grade school drop out, if he ever went to school at all, which is
in itself is unlikely. He didn't need school since he had the ambition to
teach himself more than could be spoon-fed to him along with all those other
kids who are resisting knowledge as hard as they can.

> From: Cord Wiljes <cord at wiljes.de>
> I myself do not
> have the slightest artistic ability so I am always very amazed
> how much a few lines can express.

I also don't pretend to have the slightest artistic ability (only an
irresistible and self-destructive urge to try very hard at doing something
that I am not especially fit to do), so *my* specialty is expressing things
with the *maximum* number of lines possible, thereby making sure I earn as
little $ as possible per page and per hour.