Timuktu / Tombouctou ?

Nils Lid Hjort nils at math.uio.no
Fri Jan 16 15:45:28 CET 2004

We all know that poor Donald, alone or with newphews,
is being forced away from home, for longer or shorter
time periods, when circumstances make it unbearable
for him to stay in Duckburg. And where does he go?
To Timbuktu [or Tombouctoo, or Timuctoo], in Mali,
of all places.

Would someone have a partial or complete reference list
to Barks stories in which Donald has made this necessary
retreat? -- There is also one story, I believe, which ends
with Donald moving in the direction of a sign saying something
like "Timbuktu: x miles" (where I have forgotten "x").

Have other authors followed this up, by the way? Has
Don Rosa ever forced his characters on to this particular
long and winding road?

The official Mali spelling now seems to be "Tombouctou".
Google gives Timbuktu: 219,000 hits, Timbuctoo: 7,900 hits,
Tombouctou: 24,400 hits. See also
http://www.manntaylor.com/timbuctoo.html
for some information about this mysterious city and its history.

Nils Lid Hjort