DCML Digest Issue 36

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Jan 28 15:13:00 CET 2004

From: Anthvvuono at aol.com
Subject: Questions for Mr. Rosa
>>>>>Dear Don Rosa,
Did you come up with an idea for a new story as of yet?

I think it will be another "Three Caballeros" story, this one set in Jose's
Brazil since the last one was set in Panchito's Mexico. And it might amuse
the folks there (if they aren't too upset that I don't follow their version
of Jose as a bum/con man) when I tour parts of Brazil during the Recife
comic festival I'm invited to in May.

magazine?

Pin-ups. The kind men like. No, I mean pin-ups based on the Barks or Rosa
story in the issue. (We refer to PICSOU.) So far I've done pin-ups for "A
Cold Bargain" (already published), "The Guardians of the Lost Library", and
a "generic" Barks homage for a "Barks Homage" issue -- that one is a sort of
game where I show the Ducks marching off on some quest or trip, and I have
insets of 18 different treasures or "unique items" that were featured in
various Barks adventures; the readers (I assume) will be given a chance to
name the items, or maybe they'll just print a key to them on another page.

I'm looking forward to reading your epic "Dream of a Lifetime" later this
spring in Uncle Scrooge 329.

I just received the issue of ZIO PAPERONE that featured that story, with
nifty Marco Rota front and back covers with scenes from same. As always, the
Italian presentation is the best thus far, especially with the extensive
lead-in article by DCML member Luca Boschi; I hope the American version will
be even better... except for where they gave the Beagle Boys white colored
hands (creepy... white gloves with hair and fingernails on them? Looked like
something Ed Gein or Hannibal Lector would wear!), the coloring on my stuff
in the Gemstones has been lovely!
The Italian version (and Italian Disney stuff in general) had its own usual
coloring oddity, one I've never asked anyone about... but everyone is always
wearing bright yellow shoes and boots. Is that some sort of in-joke for
Mickey Mouse foot fetishists? Or is it another Ed Gein thing?