The Riverside Rovers/Gilbert Goof

Jonathan H. Gray jongraywb at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 21:34:48 CET 2004

>That was what I meant by my previous impression that Gilbert seemed
>out-of-place until I read this
>story.  I was elated by Gilbert's make-over.  He retains his "high I.Q."
>but seems to fit in with
>Morty & Ferdie and the other kids somuch better.  Halas really did
>Gilbert's character a BIG favor.

Amen to that. Gilbert always felt like one of the most obnoxiously useless
characters ever. Just there for the "lets give all the characters nephews"
syndrome that plagued most characters back then =\ I think this is the first
time when I can honestly and truly say that I LIKE him and how he was used.
And that alone is a pretty big feat. His ego is toned down, he doesnt look
like he walked out of the chess cllub in a 1930's teen movie, and he's
written so that he's....likeable.

>However, the one thing about his new "look" is that he now looks more like
>Goofy's son, Max.
>There's less to distinguish between Max & Gilbert visually now...

Well - yes and no IMO. Gilbert looks EXACTLY like Goofy in the face, but it
seems more care was put into Max's design (Goof Troop/Goofy Movie) what with
his wilder hair and his nose/snout not being the same shape. I guess the
Goofy teeth though are distinguishing no matter who the family member ;)

but, since Max is really part of a
>seperate universe, it is fine with me.

Too bad really. It would be interesting to see how the comics Goofy would
work with his son, though then there would really be no need for Gilbert.
But, apples and oranges I suppose. :)

>But, now, with Gilbert acting more like a "real" kid, and
>Newton, likewise, expanding on his own persona as a Junior Woodchuck in
>modern Italian stories,
>their stereotypes have diminished and their personalities have grown.

Stuff like this really pleases me. Its good to know that efforts are being
made to make the Mouse universe a bit more fun and less cookie cutter in
relation to the Duck Universe. With this, and the return of Mouseton (HAPPY
DAY ^__^) these are all definately steps in the right direction.

Question about the Riverside Rovers story - Have we ever seen Morty And
Ferdie's mother/ Mickey's sister in the comics before and if so what is her
name? It was nice to see that as we hardly ever get any insight on the Mouse
family. Plus she has a very nice design :)

Jonathan H. Gray
New Artist Of The "Sonic The Hedgehog" Comic!
Sonic #134, #138

CNW & Time Trouble: My Daily Comic Strips -
http://diversions.toonzone.net/chipandwalter
The CKC Message Board -
http://diversions.toonzone.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi
Dub's Daily Journal - http://www.deadjournal.com/users/wb/