Thoughts on Daisy

Jonathan H. Gray jongraywb at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 22:00:05 CET 2004

>From: Danehog at aol.com
>To: dcml at stp.ling.uu.se
>Subject: Thoughts on Daisy
>Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:45:31 EST

Off topic - but are you the same Dane from the Sonic PZ Mailing List? If so
- hello! If not please igmore my idiocy... ^_^;;

>Daisy is characterless. She exists for her stereotype. She has no real,
>identified personality. But despite all of this, don't we NEED her? What
>would
>Disney (the comics and otherwise) be without her? Although she exists for
>the sole
>purpose of being Donald's girl friend, we NEED someone to exist for that
>reason. "Flat" characters should be a part of any "universe," whether it's
>in a
>cartoon or TV show or novel - even "flat" characters who appear regularly.

I suppose you have a point. I guess I just dislike flat characters who are
there just to take up space kinda. I mean - she's supposed to be Donalds
girlfriend, but with how she's written (or rather not written) it makes it
very hard to care about her at all and as a result whenever she appears in
the story its kind of like an "oh lord, what now" kinda reaction. XD

But you are right - Daisy is, as of right now - nothing more than a plot
device in a big poofy bow tie.

>Daisy shouldn't be criticized as a character, since, in a way, she ISN'T
>one.
>She's a plot device. All good literature needs its character-disguised plot
>devices.

True - but at what point does the plot device overstay its welcome? Or
rather at what point does the plot device grow up? Couldnt she still be a
plot device and have SOME character development? I cant remember much but
William Van Horn doesnt write her as naggy as is usually is seen, does he?
Usually his Daisy is still a plot device, but a little bit sweeter when she
wants to be. Though I havent exactly been in the loop for a while now so I
could be off.

One story I'd love to see is one where the roles are reversed and Donald
finally goes off on Daisy - possibly dumping HER. I dont think that type of
story has ever been done to a deeper extent since Donald is usually at the
butt end of Daisy's barbs. It would be interesting in a character
development see to see how Daisy would react to Donald finally putting his
foot down on her high maintenence and selfishness so to speak. Give us a
chance to get in Daisy's head on the relationship. Plus it might be a chance
to give some insight on WHY Donald likes Daisy so much and WHY theyve been
together for so long. I dont think those questions have really ever been
fleshed out properly in American Disney stories. It'd be nice to see. Just a
thought though.

Jonathan H. Gray