Translators and others

Anders Christian Sivebæk anders_sivebaek at nns.dk
Sat Jan 31 21:31:50 CET 2004

Thomas:

>> [Sonja Rindom] translated from 1949 (the start) to
>> sometimes in the 80'es and thus also made the translation of Barks´' The
>> Old castles secret" - she gave Scrooges forefathers names in this story.
>
>She translated from 1949, the first year of Anders And & Co. in Denmark,
>yes, but according to herself, she did not translate the first few issues.
Okay - I didn't remember that - heard it once though, but guess I forgot.
Thanks for the enlightment :-)

>> In 1991 Don's little masterpiece King Scrooge came out here - Mrs.
>Rindom
>> had retired at the time, and we had another translator (I don't wiosh to
>> know her name - i don't even know if it's a she) - she did not do her
>job,
>> as some donaldists would have wanted her to do.
>
>In fact, there were two translators between Rindom and the current Niels
>Søndergaard. The translators are these:
>
>1982 - 1988     Jørgen Sonnergaard (JSo)
Jørgen Sonnergaard translated the dansih weekly?? He´'s the famous (in
Denmark)
translator of Tintin, who went through a trial with the publisher here
(Carlsen) and lost
- they were reprinting the albums in alrge number swithout giving
royalties...
He was the one from whom Hergé got the idea to let Haddock swear
alphabetically...!

>1989 - 1992-23  Yanne Reich (YRe)
That's the name. She's the one who made Scrooge quote danish grundtvig
about danish
nature while he was on his way throug Alaska with his sled in "Last Sled
to Dawson"... :-)

>> The pocket books has another translator...
>
>And she has been on the job for quite a long time. Here are the issue
>numbers of "Jumbobog":
>
>JB 1-20  Unknown
>JB 20-   Birgit Trenckner (BTr)
She's been doing it for so long? Well, we're dealiong with an experinced
lady here then.
Sorry that i took herfor unqualified as she made up names for one of my
favorite themes -
if it has been for another story i wouldn't have noticed that much.
BTW it's not only the duck-references about Scotland (they can be hiding
quite much) -
she's left out. Its also Micke´'s professor friend, the one we call Kosmo
Kvantemose
she calls him Dr Statik (I take it his name is doctor Static in english?)
I'm sorry again - I know there´s many stories who have to be done before
certain deadlines -

I'm sure one simply can't take the time to look up all the details. This
is also the reason why
the colorist (from ecn) made the eye of Iku-Turso in the Kalevala story.
You who have a
scandinavian or german edition can check this. - in the end of the story,
something is
supposed to be the golden snow of the Sampo - it isn't.
(I hope this is corrected in the french, dutch, greek versions - and will
be in the american one)

>She started in 1975 and has since then translated all pocket products in

>Denmark.
great work all in all - she thought up Little Gum, Vildmule (Indiana Goff)
and many of my other favorites.

Hilsen/Yours
Anders Christian Sivebæk
Donaldist