About Eisner Awards

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Tue Jul 27 21:55:31 CEST 2004

Mickey wrote:

> it's a "problem" worldwide for Disney Comics. They are considered for
> a young audience.

Maybe that's because most of the traditional Disney comics (Ducks, Mice,
Wolves etc.) are *made* for a young audience?

>> But if nothing else, when Todd Klein again wins his award for "Best
>> Letterer" in next year's Eisners
>
> I found this funny and unfair at the same time.
> Klein is the best in what he does, but he prevents other talented
> collegues to win, with all the consequences of a victory.
> They should give him an "endless award".
> It's like Mozart competing year after year at the same music
> contest...

Using that logic, Lance Armstrong should be banned from Tour de France
and Michael Schumacher from Formula 1. I'm not especially competitive
myself, but surely the point in having any kind of competition is to
determine who is the best at something. (However "best" is defined.)
Imagine somebody winning an Eisner award in lettering with everybody
knowing that Todd Klein is *so much better* than the winner, he wasn't
even allowed to be nominated. The win would be meaningless.

I've seen Todd Klein's lettering in a number of comic books. It's good.
Yeah, there are other letterers that are good, too, but I can't really
argue against Todd Klein getting Eisner awards for his work. He wins
these things because he's good. If others were better than him, *they*
would win.

Congrats with the award, Todd.

Lars