Commercials/Disney Outdated?

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at alumni.princeton.edu
Thu Jul 29 09:38:21 CEST 2004

DEREK:

> As for kids and what do they like these days? My 9 and soon to be 3 year
> old nieces, they are absolutely insane for stuff like Spongebob
> Squarepants. Yuck! I know I'm being biased.

I think that this is simply the usual difference between generations, where
parents tend to be critical of their children for daring to be different.
("When I was your age...") What was, e.g., the attitude of the parents of
older list members, regarding their reading Disney comics? In my case, e.g.,
my mother kept telling me that it was a mistake that she had allowed me to
read comics as a child. I'm fairly certain that she felt this way because I
never got to read the books that *she* had read when she was young. However,
given that I am an avid book reader, I can't imagine that reading comics has
harmed my reading ability in any way. I just have different tastes from my
mother, a crime for which I was apparently never forgiven!

Perhaps, in twenty years' time, parents will despair at their children
watching whatever excites kids at that time, instead of wholesome
entertainment such as Spongebob Squarepants. (I think I've seen it, and I
think I don't care for it, and I *know* I'm 44 years old, so what do I know?)

	Kriton.
-----
"How can anyone rewrite history when no one can even read it properly?"
-----