Uncle Scrooge: "Best Title for a Younger Audience"?

Travis Seitler stravis at gemstonepub.com
Fri Jul 30 17:13:03 CEST 2004

My 2 bits:

"Best Title for a Younger Audience" is not the same as "Title Suited Only
for a Young Audience."

In the USA, we've got this really strange paradox. The general populace sees
comic books as "kid stuff," but almost all of the comics being published in
this country are inappropriate for children. So one of the main problems
buyers have is in finding books that are "safe" for kids to read.

"Best Title for a Younger Audience" is the industry's way of shouting, "you
won't find stuff in here that's inappropriate for your kids!" It says
nothing, one way or the other, about how well the title engages adults. I
see no reason to nay-say this award; as the wisest person to ever walk the
earth once said, "let the little children come to [us], and do not hinder
them."

Now, I realize there are a number of other categories in the Eisner awards,
none of which Gemstone was nominated for. For those of us who aren't
satisfied with that (including me), there are really only two choices. We
could either:
 (a) Assume we weren't nominated because the judges are
     jerks who were prejudiced against us (and OBVIOUSLY
     can't see our COPIOUS talent), and decide we'll just
     keep doing what we've been doing (except that now
     we're also complaining about the people who just
     awarded us). This attitiude is rooted in arrogance,
     and only leads to whining, narrow-mindedness and
     blindness.
 (b) Assume we weren't nominated because we just aren't
     up to snuff yet, and decide we'll work even harder
     to be "better than the best" next year. This leads
     to better stories, better art, better lettering,
     better editing, etc.
The first option lays blame on others, the second takes personal
responsibility. The first option cries, "victim," while the second rises to
the challenge.

The first option is the easy one. The second option is the right one.

One final note: Walt Disney aim was to provide wholesome entertainment for
the whole family...in this country, that's EXACTLY what this award says
we're accomplishing. A "nail in the coffin"? Pshaw.

Travis Seitler
Art Director, Disney Comic Books
Gemstone Publishing
stravis at gemstonepub.com