Giving Credit

Dyer, Sonia sonia.dyer at hp.com
Wed Jun 16 07:31:44 CEST 2004

Daniel van E wrote:
>Only few people care for credits when consuming products of big
companies.
>Have many people do carefully read the credits after a movie is over?
How
>many people do carefully read the detailed credits of a software
programme? Only freaks do.

	Well thank you for calling me a freak.  I tend to look at
products as creations of talented individuals, not as creations of
faceless corporations.  When I see the name of one or more of the
creators of something I enjoyed, I am pleased, and look for more of
their work.  With respect to movies, several recent ones have actually
even made an effort to make the closing credits fun to look at (Shrek 2,
Harry Potter 3).

> How many people have read Barks's non-Disney stories?
> Have many people have really cared to even look for them?

	Like a number of people on this list, I have books full of
Barks' earlier work because this is someone whose work I enjoy, Disney
or not, and because it gives me greater insight into their creative
development as an artist.  If people don't commonly read them, perhaps
it's because they're not mass marketed.  I doubt the average comics
reader even knows there are Barks non-Disney stories, and therefore they
don't look for them.

>There are even ADULTS who tend to think that Donald Duck and Mickey
Mouse
>are actual living creatures, copmplete with life-story, family tree and

>traumas.

	Now to my point of view, that's the freak department - folks
unable to distinguish fantasy from reality?  Really!

>Full credits placed on every *other* children's book ever published?
This
>is not true.

	I have to agree with you on that one.  Many modern books do at
least credit many of the contributing people, but some do not.

		Sonia