Pencils and Pens

Chris Hilbig chilbig1 at satx.rr.com
Sat May 8 07:46:01 CEST 2004

Derek,

   I myself am an illustrator/comic artist, who's more or less at the
amateur level. The bulk of my work can be seen at partianimals.com. (A
first of many plugs :P) What type of tools you use depend mainly on
your preference and comfort level with whatever tools, paper, etc you
use.

  For comic book pages I use a generic looking mechanical pencil
containing 0.5 mm HB lead for my pencils. When I ink, I use a variety
of tools. I prefer using a sable brush for much of the organic lines on
the page. I'll trade off between a Raphaël 8408, Windsor and Newton
Series 7, or a Dick Blick Master Sable brush. I find the Raphaël the
best of the three because of its price and performance. I also stress
that not all sable brushes are equal, so unless you find a cheap $2 US
brush that does a hell of a job and doesn't drive you crazy with
splitting hairs, you'll normally find the more expensive brushes, such
as the Series 7 ($9.58 US) brush or the Raphaël 8408 ($7.38 US) will
consistently serve you better. That's just something you'll have to
experiment with and find out. Another note, sable brushes are a pain to
clean and take care of. Stuff like india ink and acrylic paint will do
a serious number on your brushes if you're not careful. Always
clean/rinse your brush out before the ink dries. And when you're done
for the day, clean your brush with a little soap and water. I recommend
"the Masters" Brush Cleaner and Preserver, it does the best job out of
all of the other brush soaps/cleaners that I've tried. On another
message board (http://www.wetcanvas.com/), I've read that Johnson's
baby shampoo will do the trick and without the residue. I haven't tried
this yet, but it'll be interesting to see if it works as well as "the
Masters".  I also use Speedball dip/crow quill pens, which are easier
to master. You can buy the the sets or individual nibs and holders. The
tips I use are #'s 102 and 107. The 107 is a stiffer nib, but both will
give you a good variety of line widths. For straight lines I'll use a
Koh-I-noor Rapidograph. Although Rapidographs are pretty pricey,
Stratford or whoever owns Koh-I-Noor has made a more affordable line of
Rapidographs that doesn't have much difference, other than who they're
marketed to and the number of widths the cheaper line offers. The india
ink I use is Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay Black. Not too thick and not too
thin. I'm not completely happy with Bombay, but it does the job. India
ink is also a subjective topic with many variables to consider,
blackness, resistance to erasing, thickness, etc. Other artists I've
read about or known also use markers such as Sakura Pigma Micron and/or
Sharpies. I've also heard about brush markers in use here in the US and
Asia. Eventhough markers are extremely convenient, I have found them to
bleed and fade into a gray after erasing. For corrections, I use
Liquitex concentrated acrylic white with a brush and  Zebra white out
pen. As far as paper goes I use 3-ply 11x17 inch art/bristol board. 11
x 17, with a 10 x15 drawing area is the standard in the US for
companies like Marvel, Image and DC. In Europe and Asia they use
different sizes, I don't particularly know what they are, but I do know
Egmont (ECN) uses a much larger size page. I recommend checking out the
different offerings at BlueLinePro.com. Their boards are in both
standard and custom sizes. They are also pre-printed with non-photo
blue guides.

  Most of what I've describe above can be obtain at your local arts and
crafts store or online at dickblick.com, texasart.com, misterart.com,
and BlueLinePro.com. I also recommend magazines such as Draw!
(drawmagazine.com) and Sketch (BlueLinePro.com). These mags are geared
to comic book artists and illustrators and have all sorts of great
information. I also recommend checking out the "Introduc(k)tion to Don
Rosa"  http://duckman.pettho.com/drinfo/drinfo.html. If you scroll down
a little over half way, you'll find some interesting tid-bits as to
what type of materials Don Rosa uses.

  Now if you feel really bold (or stretched for time when working or
whatever your excuse) and know your way around a Mac or PC, you can
take the digital route. For my online comic strips, I quickly sketch
them in pencil, and scan them at 300 dpi (I use a great i'll program
called VueScan http://www.hamrick.com/index.html). You can scan at 72
dpi, but 300 dpi works best if you wish to see your work in print. You
can always scale it down. :) Then I'll ink, letter, and color in either
Corel Painter (corel.com) or Creature House Expression
(http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/). MS recently bought out
Creature House and has released the Mac version as freeware. MS from
what I understand plans to release Expression for Windows as was before
the buyout, but MS seems to be taking its good sweet time. You may have
to look around the web to purchase a copy of Expression 3 for Windows.
None the less it's an amazing illustration program. I like it a lot. In
both Painter and Expression, I ink and color with a 6 x 8 Wacom Intuos
graphics tablet.

  Anyways, I hope this helps.

Chris Hilbig