Gemstone's New Trend

Daniel J. Neyer jerryblake2 at juno.com
Tue May 11 17:01:03 CEST 2004

You're right, Rodney--I would ten times prefer to see a Paul Murry tale
to the junk that passes for Mickey "adventures" right now. Murry was not
long on characterization, but his plots were always solidly constructed
and sometimes brilliant. If we're not going to get Gottfredson or Scarpa
or even Gerstein, we ought to get some Murry. It may be just my
imagination, but it's starting to seem to me that Gemstone has initiated
some new policy to phase out the older Mouse and replace him with this
cross between Harry Potter and Casper the Friendly Ghost. Yuck! With the
current track record of the McGreals, I'm not as anxious to see their
"Mythos Island" as I once was. I'm sure it will be just the same as "For
Art's Sake", the Loch Ness dragon story, and the other recent
Mickey/fantasy debacles. Byron Erickson's birthday stories remain the
only decent MM yarns published during Gemstone's run--they were just
great; too bad Byron isn't turning these out on a regular basis.