Another Anecdote on Disney Comics Sales

Eta Beta psersimmon at eega.net
Tue May 11 18:50:32 CEST 2004

L. Schulte sez :

>At my local comic book shop I am the only customer for Disney Comics

Same goes here or, better, I WAS the only customer, now they
have none.

Not being extremely pleased with Gemstone's choice of stories,
my ideal arrangement would have been that of browsing through
each month's issues to check whether they featured any Rosa,
Ferioli or Van Horn Jr. stories, but that's impossible, I had
to actually subscribe to each and every title, and not only
that, it takes a two months advance to receive your comics and,
if you cancel a subscription, you have to purchase the next two
issues anyway, crazy as it may sound.

I checked with other shops, of course, but the "rule" is the same
everywhere, here in this part of Italy at least.

In addition to that, since last December titles arrived in random
choice: I haven't seen any Donald Duck ever since, the "one-shots"
(X'mas and Vacation Parade), never arrived, and each month I get
*either* Uncle Scrooge or WDC, but not both, apparently at random.
Back issues orders are, for some unfathomable reason, impossible
to obtain so, regrettably, I canceled ALL my Disney subscriptions,
also given the fact that the much sought after Scarpa, Gottfredson,
Murry, Strobl etc. reprints would apparently remain just a dream...

Of course, local distribution troubles cannot be addressed to
Gemstone, and I think they reasonably couldn't care less about
the puny percentage of European sales, but after waiting so many
years for the resuming of American Disneys publication, saying
that I'm disappointed would definitely be an understatement.

Also, since I'm in protesting mood, I'll join the ranks of
Mickey "fantasy" stories haters, and I'll add that the sole
idea of Donald having a steady job, let alone in a margarine
factory, gives me the creeps...

No Cheers!

Eta Beta