Song (partly) about Don Rosa

hans kiesl hans.kiesl at sowi.uni-bamberg.de
Wed May 12 14:23:40 CEST 2004

Last week I bought the newly released CD of German songwriter Reinhard Mey. He is the kind of old-fashioned guy who writes and sings stories about love, hope, disappointment, and all those valuable trivialities of everyday life. Maybe I'm old-fashioned too, matter of fact he's still one of my favourites, even though he made his best songs (imho) back in the 70s and 80s.

Why am I writing this here? Because there's a song (titled "Sven") on this new CD in which he reveals himself as an admirer of Carl Barks, Erika Fuchs (German translator) and Don Rosa (all three names mentioned in the lyrics).

The song tells the story of Sven, a boy who is waiting in the queue in front of a bookshop. The queue is there because Don Rosa's in town (actually in the city of Berlin), signing his albums.

Sven is accompanied by his unpatient father, who cannot understand that someone would wait for hours just to get a signature and soon refuses to wait any longer. Sven begs his father on his knees to stay, but does not succeed. His father angrily leaves, telling Sven that he has to manage to get home alone.

Fighting back his tears, Sven remains waiting in the queue until he has finally made it to Don Rosa's drawing desk, where he asks: "Please, Mr. Don Rosa, could you write: Für Hans-Dieter Kaiser". That is, he asks for a dedication not to him, but to his father. (Hopefully this dedication will gnaw at his father's conscience!)

I'm not aware of any other released song that mentions Carl Barks or Don Rosa (or any other Disney comics artist), at least in German or English. Are there any songs of this kind in other languages?

-Hans-