CGC + Mickey Mouse In Color

Chris Hilbig chilbig1 at satx.rr.com
Sun May 30 14:55:38 CEST 2004

  From what I understand and have read, CGC comes off as another
money-making scheme. I suppose if your a hard-core collector with extra
money on hand, you might actual benefit from it. 9 out of 10 times an
amateur with a vague idea of grading standards or a copy of the
Overstreet Price Guide will determine a comic's grade, with the notion
that it'll be sold in the near future so he/she will fugue a little. I
personally don't think I'll make much difference other than to show
off. Maybe comic book stores and ebay sellers might inspire some
confidence and some money with professionally graded comics. Who knows.
Maybe publishers in the US will have their press men wear soft cotton
white glove, and carefully handle the books as they cut and bind them.
(As to not chip the corners or crease the spine.)  Diamond Distributing
will have UPS drive special armored trucks/cars that provides their
titles with only the most gentle ride. Finally, the slob at the local
comic shop will politely mishandle  and destroy any potentially value
(possible $100's if not $1,000's) of their newly arrived stock. :P (No
offense to those of you who work at a comic store and actually care.)

Derek,

  I bought a copy of Mickey Mouse in Color about a year ago off of
Amazon and I still pull it out to read. In fact I was just thumbing
through it yesterday. Sadly all that thumbing and reading damages  it
and makes my inner collector want to cry. (It's a first edition.) But I
still love it. Half of the stories are Sundays and the other half are
daily adventures. I especially love the dailies, as those looked to had
been beautifully colored in water colors. It also has some great
historical information and the life story and career of Floyd
Gottfredson. I recommend it. In fact it makes me want to get that
collected Egmont released of Gottfredson's strips. I believe they
published his entire run. I'd have to looking it up again to be sure.
When Gemstone (or whoever reprints MM in color) releases it in August,
I hope they add another story or two or possibly a second book. But
even if they don't do any of that, it'll still be a great addition to
any mouse-fan's collection. :)

Chris Hilbig