Lo$

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Sun Apr 10 18:27:41 CEST 2005

> To anyone involved at Gemstone or Gary Leach:
>     Do you know when your special hardback edition of "Life and Times"
> comes
> out? Since it will be limited, I would not mind ordering it right
> now!!!
> Sincerely,
> Anthony

The one edition of "Lo$" currently in production is a prestige format
book – re: US and WDCS – that will collect all twelve original chapters
with accompanying editorial features. A hardbound edition is being
considered, but is not scheduled at this time.

> The "Bible Belt" is commonly associated with the American South, since
> that is where many of the fundamentalist Christian groups had their
> base of power in the late 1800s and early 1900s.  But other parts of
> the country, like the rural section of Oregon where Barks grew up,
> have been lumped into the mixture at times.
>
> Also note that one of the most famous and politically influential
> fundamentalist Christians in America was William Jennings Bryan, he of
> the three failed Presidential campaigns and the disastrous "expert
> witness" turn in the "Scopes monkey trial" of 1925.  He was a
> "fire-breathing" traditionalist in religion who ALSO happened to be a
> strong progressive.  So the "fundamentalist" = "conservative"
> equation has never been quite as balanced as Europeans and some
> Americans might think.
>
> Chris Barat

This is so true, and a point egregiously underrepresented in the
current climate of political polarization that's gripped this country.
All in all, I've always been glad that Barks stayed away from overt
religious topics and references – there was probably never any
particular impetus to explore them in "throwaway entertainment" anyway
– so we can enjoy his work free of confrontation with such issues (and
the inevitable – and almost inevitably ugly – controversies they'd
create).

Gary