DCML Digest, Vol 26, Issue 16

Gerd Syllwasschy Gerd.Syllwasschy at web.de
Wed Apr 13 12:53:31 CEST 2005

Lars:

>>>I have no clue as to which [Donald Duck newspaper strips Carl Barks]
>>>actually wrote. Apart from 39-09-11, which was spotted by Michael
>>>Naiman and published in Comic Book Marketplace # 40.
>>
>>But how did Michael Naiman know that this strip was written by Barks?
>

> Nobody knows the answer to this?

I believe this has never really been proven. What we know is:
a) Barks sold some gag ideas to the comic-strip dept. during his stay at the Disney Studio;
b) he was paid for writing the one-pager in DD FC 189.

Now the FC 189 one-pager is so similar to the 1939 strip that it is unlikely that this happened by pure chance. Barks did not usually copy other writers' work; however, he repeatedly returned to subjects written by *himself*. So the assumption that it was his original gag idea does not seem too far-fetched.

Gerd

--
<--cut here-->