Upcoming Gemstone Projects

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Wed Apr 20 06:16:37 CEST 2005

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=003676

Mickey and the Gang, a coffee table book that will collect all of the Disney
story pages that were originally featured in Good Housekeeping Magazine in the
1930s and 1940s, along with numerous other art depicting from where those
pages were derived and for what they served as inspiration. It will be available
in November as both a softback and a hardback.

Mickey Mouse Meets Blotman - a one-shot 48-page comic in which > Mickey is
> transported to an alternate dimension in which his arch-foe, The Phantom Blot,
> is a super hero, Blotman. Available in July.

World of the Dragon Lords - a 176-page graphic novel, written by Byron
Erickson
> and illustrated by Cesar Ferioli, in which Uncle Scrooge, Donald, Huey,
> Dewey, and Louie get trapped in feudal world that is overseen by dictatorial
> barbarians who ride dragons as steeds. Available in August.

Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge - a 64-page one-shot comic that will print, for

> the first time in the US, 'Somewhere in Nowhere,' the last story into which
> Carl Barks had input before his death. Disney writer John Lustig scripted
> the story based on Barks' notes and Patrick Block illustrated it. Also in this
> comic is a reprint of Barks' 'North of the Yukon,' upon which 'Somewhere in
> Nowhere' is based. Available in October.

> And in the planning stages is a book that will collect all of the Rosa
> stories that are ancillary to his Life of Scrooge series. Rosa has written a
> number of tales that fit in-between the segments of Life of Scrooge. They are, to
> date: 'Of Ducks and Dimes and Destinies,' Chapter 0; 'Cowboy Captain of the
> Cutty Sark,' Chapter 3-B; 'The Vigilante of Pizen Bluff,' Chapter 6.5;
> 'Hearts of the Yukon,' Chapter 8-C; and 'The Sharpie of Culebra Cut,' Chapter 10-B.
> Rosa is currently working on a Chapter 8-B and that will be included if
> available at time of publication. Release date to be determined.

Thus continues my love/hate relationship with Gemstone. Love from my heart
and hate from my wallet. ;) So much good stuff to get! That "World of Dragon
Lords" graphic novel especially blows my mind. I didn't even know there were
Disney graphic novels! I thought "Life and Times" was as close to a GN as Duck
comics came. When was "Dragon Lords" first released? Anyway, it's great to see
such things come out over here. It really broadens my ideas as to what a Disney
comic can be.

Also, that "Mickey Mouse and The Gang" is an example of the kind of stuff I
hoped Gemstone would do, sort of casting a light on and exploring the history
of Disney comics. I hope other books like this are in the planning for the
future (2006 and beyond).

All in all, a great day to be a fan of Disney/Gemstone!

Derek Smith