DCML Digest, Vol 26, Issue 29

Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Mon Apr 25 19:28:11 CEST 2005

>Sorry if you took my comment personally. I don't say that the story writers are idiots or that they are untalented or
>whatever. I'm just saying that the *plots* of those Egmont stories (especially if written by Pat & Carol McGreal) often
>seem to be idiotic and - in comparison to majority of the Italian stories - quite strange.
>Especially when it comes to Mickey. I don't remember exactly which story it was or who the author was, but some time ago
>in a story (probably drawn by Joaquin or Xavi) Mickey jumps out of a flying plane and in the next panel you see him
>falling towards the ground with a very, very idiotic grin and screaming "Hurray! Finally I'm save!".
>As a fan of good Mickey stories you have to say "What the heck?" when you read something like this.
>Or another example. In a story, someone sends Mickey an elephant. So, what to do with it? No doubt that the "normal"
>Mickey would say "How can I get rid of it?". But no way - Mickey is excited and screams joyfully "Oh, that's soooo cool!
>I'm gonna take an elephantback-ride through the city and play a trick on Goofy with my new friend!".
>
>Now, see what I mean with idiotic plots?

So, we Egmont Mickey writers aren't necessarily idiots or untalented, we
just do idiotic things which are characteristic of untalented people.

Excuuuuuse me!

(By way, in my not-very-humble opinion, many Italian stories, including
some by the extremely talented and non-idiotic Romano Scarpa, don't ring
true to the characters. That's not the same as being idiotic or the
product of untalented people;  it's just that their perceptions of the
characters seem wrong to at least one person who has been reading
American Disney comics for more than half a century.)

Quack, Don