Mythtic Mystery

dveijmeren@kabelfoon.nl dveijmeren at kabelfoon.nl
Thu Aug 4 16:16:11 CEST 2005

> Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:51:03 +0200
> From: <H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl>
> Subject: RE: How green was the lettuce

> Mythtic Mystery? If they really found anything, that would be news!
> As far as I currently know, the cut pages from that story are lost.

The story looks like it has *literally* been cut to pieces, so I fear
that the lost art has been thrown away as left-over snippets. Just look
at the art and lettering of the published version.
A part of the panel of the lost overview on Duckburg might still be in
the story, where Vulcan looks down, it just has been cut down to the
size of a normal panel.
The last panel where the nephews capture Scrooge, might have been taken
from a scene on Valhalla.
Following the logic of the story, Scrooge making gold on Earth would
HELP Valhalla to go further away from Earth, so why would the nephews
try to stop Scrooge as an end-gag?
There was also some business about Scrooge making a hammer himself,
Barks has once remembered in a letter to Geoffrey Blum.

I think the original full version would have been one of Barks's best
stories. The published result is just a weird mess, because it lacks
Barks's timing and logic.

--- Daniël