Barks, Scrooge and economy (WDC 144)

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at alumni.princeton.edu
Fri Aug 5 09:56:16 CEST 2005

Daniël:

> If one would spend money at his/her
> own business, then a lot of money would be spend in the costs of the
> production, wouldn't it? Then how can Scrooge get almost the same money
> at the end?

Wasn't the point of the story that Scrooge had been forced to spend the day's
profits, so that he would be able to close his safe? If so, it doesn't matter
how much money he got back from his businesses, as long as it was any amount:
he still wouldn't be able to close his safe. This also explains why he was
angry at Donald in the end of the story, as he lost money without achieving
anything. I suspect that, had all his money come back to him, as in the corn
crib story, Scrooge might have actually enjoyed the experience of shopping:
all the fun of shopping at fancy places, without actually having to pay anything!

	Kriton.
-----
"It sets such a bad precedent when you start letting the world come to an end
  every week or so.  It seems to erode the confidence people have in their
  governments for some reason."
-----