DCML Digest, Vol 30, Issue 17

asaramelli asaramelli at ig.com.br
Thu Aug 18 16:51:55 CEST 2005

Niels and Daniel

Very good your analysis about Duckburg "closed economy" !

In 1920s... and 1930s... in the State of São Paulo Brazil,
we have a very good example of closed economy (based in only a few rich mans
), with the count Francisco Matarazzo,
an italian inmigrant who turned a very rich man, really dominated the
Brazilian Market ( I say Brazilian, because the São Paulo´s state was and is
the strongest economy in Brazil ), and in many aspects, his life is very
near of our Uncle Scrooge Life.

Count Francisco Matarazzo was an incredible business man, who used to see in
1920s... and 1930s... businesses tactics only are being  aplicated now, and,
in a world without financial electronics based services, he used the "
humanware" technics.

I´m going to write more about Francisco Matarazzo, many stories can inspire
ideas for new adventures for Mr Uncle Scrooge , or as We call in Brazil Sr.
Tio Patinhas !

Alexandre Saramelli

Daniël wrote:
There's a Barks 1950s ten-pager about Scrooge spending money to get rid of
it (WDC 144), a plan that fails because Scrooge unconsciously spends it to
his own factories and businesses, so that he gets almost the same big
surplus of money at the end.
Would this model work that way in real life, or did Barks use a huge
artistic liberty to tell the story? If one would spend money at his/her own
business, then a lot of money would be spend in the costs of the production,
wouldn't it? Then how can Scrooge get almost the same money at the end?

If Scrooge owns the car factories and restaurants, he probably also owns the
businesses that supply them - and their suppliers etc. etc. And when
Scrooge's employees spend their (meagre) wages, they buy McDuck cars and eat
at McDuck restaurants.
In theory the story would work for a closed economy (i.e. few imports) where
the consumers have a very low savings rate (i.e. they spend all their money)
and where one producer (=Scrooge) dominates the market (i.e. supplies
consumers with most of the goods they demand). So maybe if the US economy
was like that
in the 1950s....

Kind regards
Niels