Bolivar/Bernie/Bornworthy

David Gerstein ramapith at verizon.net
Sun Aug 21 02:08:56 CEST 2005

     Hey Rob,

> Bernard in a story that "might" be reprinted in USA???  NONE of us
> is doing stories
> directly for Gemstone!  All of our publishers use Bernhard/Loebas.

     I believe Egmont used "Bernhard" back when you were writing for
them.
     These days, though, the Egmont stories as produced in English
use Bornworthy or Bolivar (it varies with the story).

> So, use him, and indicate for the English Publication to call him
> "Bernie".  Personally, I'd rather they call him "Bolivar".

     Rob, every new story with the St Bernard that's appeared in the
American Disney comics since 1992 in fact HAS called the dog Bolivar.
These include stories in DONALD DUCK ADVENTURES 32-33 (Disney Comics
run) and 38 (Gladstone run), UNCLE SCROOGE 303 and 312, and WDC&S
648.  He's also appeared as Bolivar in dozens of Al Taliaferro
reprints, and if there'd been a problem with the name, those reprints
surely would have been censored.
     Bolivar is the name that's preferred by John Clark, Gladstone's
and now Gemstone's editor-in-chief, and Disney encourages us to use
it. Evidently, nobody in our end of Disney comics production has had
a problem with it for a long, long time.

> What if Egmont were to resurrect Moby Duck, and give him a new
> parrot named George Washington?

     Sounds like an improvement. (-:

     David