November 2005 Gemstone Comic Previews - Questions

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Sat Aug 27 11:35:43 CEST 2005

Hi all! :)

Here are the comic books coming from Gemstone in November 2005 from Previews
Volume XV #9:

Donald Duck and Friends #334 --- Carl Barks' rare 1946 Firestone Giveaway
story, "Santa's Stormy Visit," leads this issue. Then Michael T. Gilbert and Noel
Van Horn team up to bring you the Mickey Mouse story, "The Sure Cure." And
finally, Donalds teams up with the Easter Bunny in Lars Jensen and Marco Rota's
"Santa's Helpers." 7x10, 32 pages, FC  $2.95

Donald Duck Adventures #15 --- In "Mission: Sasabonsam," by Lars Jensen and
Fleming Andersen, Donald and Fethry are back in action as the Tamers of
Nonhuman Threats - TNT! Andersen also illustrates Pat and Carol McGreal's "Old Number
One," pitting Scrooge against Magica De Spell. Then Stefan Petrucha (The
X-Files) offers Mickey Mouse's "Invasion of Turtle People." SC, 5x7, 128 pages, FC
 $7.95

Mickey Mouse and Friends #283 --- The rare 1946 Firestone Giveaway story,
"Mickey's Christmas Trees," leads this issue, followed by Donald Duck in
"Skeptics and Sorcery," by Jens Hansegard and Rodrigues. Donald D. Markstein and
Rodrigues' Horace Horsecollar Christmas story, "Songs of the Season," wraps the
book. 7x10, 32 pages, FC  $2.95

Mickey and The Gang: Classic Stories In Verse --- From 1934 to 1944, Good
Housekeeping magazine transformed Disney's latest Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and
Goofy cartoons into rollicking, rhyming short stories, each masterfully
illustrated by watercolor artists Tom Wood and Hank Porter. Now all 124 of these
legendary features are finally collected in one coffee-table size book - and
grounded in histroy, via a wealth of contemporary Disney animation art and
ephemera! You'll see hundreds of rare cartoon story sketches by Carl Barks and
others; previously unreprinted Floyd Gottfredson comics; rare Mickey merchandise and
much, much more. Experience Disney's Good Housekeeping pages in context with
the world of Disneyana their original readers knew! Also avaliable in a limted
hardcover edition with dustjacket (with gold leaf print and a jewel-encusted
cover no doubt ;)  SOFTCOVER EDITION- SC, 11x13, 360 pages, FC  $29.95.
LIMITED HARDCOVER EDITION - SC, 11x13, 360 pages, FC  $149.95

Uncle Scrooge #348 --- William Van Horn's cover illustrates his interior
story, "Out of the Blue." The remainder of this issue is filled with various
stories of Christmas cheer, including "The Hunt for White December," drawn by
Daniel Branca, and "The Christmas That Almost Wasn't" and "The Duckburg Ice
Festival," both by Janet Gilbert and Vicar. SC, 7x10, 64 pages, FC  $6.95

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #663 --- Don Rosa reunites Donald with
Panchito and Jose Carioca in the first part of his three-part adventure, "The
Magnificent Seven Minus Four Caballeros," beginning in this issue. Stories by
Hansengard/Ferioli, Gerstein/Rota and Kinney/Rodrigues are also in this comic,
which wraps with William Van Horn's "The Ghost of Kamikaze Ridge." SC, 7x10, 64
pages, FC  $6.95

Walt Disney's Christmas Parade #3 --- Carl Barks' classic holiday tales, "The
Golden Christmas Tree" and "Silent Night," are featured this year as well as
Romano Scarpa's "It's a Wonderful Christmas Story," Marco Rota's "Sentimental
Energy," and vintage Chip 'n' Dale and Grandma stories. 7x10, 64 pages, FC
$8.95

A truly great month. One that will probably bankrupt me, but at least I'll be
a happy poor guy! Marco Rota, Scarpa, Yay! Too bad Don Rosa's story will be
three parts, since it means a longer wait to read it all, but I guess it's in
tune with how the first story was presented. Also, the return of TNT! After a
nice vacation, it's good to see another story in the series.

Question: I noticed that Christmas Parade #3 is shown as 64 pages, instead of
the usual 80. I assume that's a misprint since the price is still $8.95?
Also, will CP3 have a variant cover like CP2? I remember that it turned out that
was the case with CP2, but the Previews description didn't mention that at the
time (only Scoop, etc.).

>From Hyperion:

W.I.T.C.H. Volume 3 --- This W.I.T.C.H. graphic novel combines two comic
stories in one volume. Elyon reveals the depth of her power, and the Guardians of
the Veil must find a way to save an enchanted town. SC, 6x9, 128 pages, FC
$4.99

How is W.I.T.C.H. doing in the US? From my uninformed standpoint, it doesn't
seem to be the synergistic, corporate giant that Disney was hoping/hyping for.
I see a comic in Disney Adventures, rarely see W.I.T.C.H. books (including
the early books that were text with just a few pages of comics). Just wondered
if it all fizzed out or if Disney is still getting started in its promotion
campaign.

Derek Smith