Nephews in love... Yuck!

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 28 14:32:37 CEST 2005

Laura Alioravainen writes:

> I would like to know is here anybody else who would like to
> read a story
> about the nephwefs to fll in love. I think that would be very cute nd
> original. I've never read such a story.

And I reply:

I know you didn't ask who would NOT like to read such a story, but I'll
stick my nose in anyway.

The nephews are too young to develop real love, and I think a youthful crush
is not in keeping with their all-boy, girl-hating characters.  DUCKTALES on
TV came up with Webigail, a young female duck meant to encourage girls'
interest in the show.  While she sometimes seemed to get the boys to like
her as more than a fellow adventurer, I cannot recall these efforts ever
paying off.

If you are suggesting that Huey, Dewey, or Louie should actually become
romantically involved with a girl, I repeat that they are not nearly old
enough.  To introduce such a storyline sets them up as role models for real
kids of their age to do the same thing.  Romance is a dangerous game, and we
have enough trouble with movies and TV shows encouraging youngsters to think
they are grown-up enough for a relationship meant for adults.

Let the kids act like kids in the comics.  I'm quite content with the idea
that Duck comics hold constant to the notion that Donald should be faithful
to Daisy (even if she displays occasional jealousy due to a
misunderstanding), that $crooge can carry a torch for someone for decades,
and that the nephews don't want girl-cootie infections.  That is the world I
knew as a boy, and I hope never to see that world change.

I realize your question was a perfectly innocent one, Laura, and your
opinion of what is entertaining is just as valid as mine.  All the same, I
don't want Duck comics turned into TEEN BEAT, especially since the boys
aren't even teenagers.

Old fogey Dan