Not-so-Ancient Mariner

Stefan Diös pyas at swipnet.se
Thu Mar 24 10:35:11 CET 2005

Timo:

>I'm looking for different translations for poem Donald is reciting for the
>ship cruise contest in Barks' story "Not-So-Ancient Mariner". I believe
>he's reciting these actual lines from Coleridge's poem

And so do I! :-)

The Swedish version, fortunately, uses wordings from a real Coleridge
translation (by Ragnar Eklund). It goes:

"Gud hjälp dig, gamle Sjöman!
Från plågans andar loss!
Vad felas dig?" - "Jag grep en pil
Och sköt vår ALBATROSS."

I wonder if Donald Duck might not have done at least as much to make these
lines famous in Sweden as has Coleridge himself. I'll never forget our
literature classes in high school in 1978, when I could show the teacher
that story (in Kalle Anka & C:o #24/1967). That sparkled her interest in
comics and she became a member of NAFS(k), our Donaldist society.

Don Rosa also used a Coleridge poem once, in "Return to Xanadu". When
translating that story, I likewise did my best to find a Swedish rendering
of "Kubla Khan" and used one by Anders Österling.

Stefan Diös
Stockholm / Malmö, Sweden