Prices

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Fri Nov 4 19:45:53 CET 2005

Mark Baker-Wright (and ALL):

> I'm going to try to take this question seriously, but I find the
> question just a little insulting.

Oh? And here I just thought I was being direct and unambiguous. Silly
me. I'll try to be a little more obtuse and opaque next time.

>  The average comic book these days is about $3.00-$3.50.

And the average comic book is what? 32 pages in color? 64-page
squarebounds? 80-page "giants"? 144-page graphic novels? 200-page
pocket books? $80-million cinema spectaculars?

Fact is, the "average" in the US comics market disappeared years ago.

And frankly, Mark, I'm not just digging at you - how could I, since
this subject has been raked over the coals here time and time and
time again, and it hasn't gotten anybody anywhere?

I don't think it has to be like that. It is clearly a subject that is
of concern to most everyone, and it certainly won't go away. Still,
can we see if we can gather a consensus of some sort on just what
we're comparing to what? Perhaps Gemstone will still come out looking
pricey, but wouldn't a better understanding of the real situation -
whatever that may be discovered to be - prove a worthy goal for a
forum like this?

Gary