May 2006 Disney comics previews/comments

ZeldasTriforce at aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 17:14:48 CEST 2006

Hi all!

Here are the Disney comics that'll come out in May as listed in Previews
Volume XVI #3.

Carl Barks' Greatest DuckTales Stories Volume 1 --- A collection of Carl
Barks adventures that were adapted to the popular DuckTales cartoon show. This
volume features "Back to the Klondike," "Land Beneath the Ground," "Micro-Ducks
from Outer Space," "Lemming With the Locket," "Lost Crown of Genghis Khan," and
"Hound of the Whiskervilles." SC, 5x7, 144pages, FC  $10.95

Donald Duck and Friends #340 --- May is Donald's "birthday," so this issue
features a special Donald birthday food fight cover, drawn especially for
Gemstone by Daan Jippes. Interior stories include "A Blighted Birthday" by Pat and
Carol McGreal and Cesar Feroli. Plus, Carl Barks' "The Master Glasser," and
"Regarding Donald" by the McGreals (I wonder how much sleep those two get) and
Vicar. 32 pages, FC  $2.95

Donald Duck Adventures #18 --- Donald and Fethry return as TNT agents in
"Let's Get Kraken" by Jensen (so popular they don't even need to say his first
name anymore!) and Andersen. Also, Mickey squares off against his long time foe
in "Blot Clot" by Petrucha and Miguel. Lastly, Donald dons long underwear to
assume his guise of the Duck Avenger in "Legacy" by Pihl and Smet. Cover by
Flemming Andersen and Mardon Smet. SC, 128 pages, FC  $7.95

Mickey Mouse and Friends #289 --- In Pat and Carol McGreal and Cesar Feroli's
"The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of," Mickey must contend with his own dreams that
have come to life. Then Mortie, Ferdie, and the Riverside Rovers have an
encounter with a Bank Robber (his official title, that's why it's in capital
letters ;) in "Silent Witness." Also included is "IQ Switcheroo," a vintage Goofy
story by Paul Murry. 32 pages, FC  $2.95

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #669 --- This issue features "Nightmuscle,"
the latest Donald Duck ten-pager from William Van Horn, as well as Mickey in
"The Coming of the Quadruplex," and Don Markstein and Rodriquez's third Sam
Simian story. Also included are Donald in "Pitstop Problems," the fourth Formula
One adventure, as well as stories starring Scamp, L'il Bad Wolf, and Chip 'n'
Dale (Bucky: Am I in here too? O what am I to do?). SC, 64 pages, FC  $6.95

Uncle Scrooge #354 --- Scrooge, Donald, and the Boys butt heads once again
with the gentleman thief Arpin Lusene in "The Black Knight Glorps Again," by Don
Rosa (I've read so much about this story on DCML, I feel like I've read it
before even though I know only a little of the plot). A Rosa cover and a Rosa
pin-up page are also included. Other features include "Sorceress' Apprentices"
by Janet Gilbert and Manrique, plus "Rude Recollections" by Kari Korhonen and
Massaroli. SC, 64 pages, FC  $6.95

Walt Disney's Vacation Parade #3 --- This Disney holiday anthology book
features Mickey, Donald, Uncle Scrooge, Chip 'n' Dale, L'il Bad Wolf, and Ludwig
von Drake. Inside are new and vintage tales with a vacation-theme, highlighted
by Carl Barks' classic Donald adventure, "Terror of the River," and a modern
day Mickey adventure, "Sandgate," written and illustrated by Noel Van Horn. SC,
80 pages, FC  $8.95

Slave Labor Graphics:

Wonderland #1 --- (I include this because it says it's inspired by the Disney
movie Alice in Wonderland, but the art certainly looks nothing like the film)
What happened when Alice left Wonderland at the end of the classic Disney
animated film? This new series follows the adventure, chaos, and hijinks in
Wonderland as the Queen of Hearts is determined to get to the bottom of who exactly
caused her so much trouble. We're also introduced to the other human resident
of Wonderland, a timid little girl named Maryanne. This continuation of the
classic Disney film will satisfy fans of all versions of Wonderland. 32 pages,
FC  $3.50

Disney Press:

Gorilla Gorilla Volume 1 --- Featuring Gorilla Gorilla! This full-color
compilation is a must-have for fans of the immensely popular comics that run in
Disney Adventures magazine and Comic Zone. Each book features a different
character or theme picked from the top-rated magazine strips. SC, 6x9, 96 pages, FC
$4.99

Lilo & Stitch Volume 1 --- This full-color compilation is a must have for
fans..... blah, blah, blah. Says same thing as above. SC, 6x9, 96 pages, FC
$4.99

TokyoPop:

Cars - Cine Manga and Junior Cine-Manga --- Lightning McQueen is a hotshot
rookie race car, driven to win the coveted Piston Cup. While heading to the
race, McQueen's impatience causes him to get separated from his driver, and he is
forced to slow down for the first time in his life. In doing so he learns the
importance of teamwork and friendship - and discovers that life is about the
journey, not the finish line. $5.99/$3.99, 48pages/24 pages, 5x7 7/16 - 6x9.

Derek Smith