Direct references to Barks-stories

Halsten Aastebøl Halsten.Aastebol at elkraft.ntnu.no
Tue Aug 1 09:23:53 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: dcml-bounces at nafsk.se [mailto:dcml-bounces at nafsk.se] On Behalf Of
Olivier
Sent: 31. juli 2006 15:18
To: x DCML
Subject: Re: Direct references to Barks-stories

By the way, Barks himself  rarely referred to older stories, or did he? He
would throw in a line about Magica's desire for his dime to introduce her to
readers that didn't know her, but not to actual events-- or am I forgetting
some obvious instances?
The one direct reference I remember is "The Status Seeker" (
http://coa.inducks.org/story.php/x/W+US+++41-02//Status+See++_ ), in which
the Beagle Boys go straight to the candy-striped ruby, guessing that Scrooge
would try and trick them the same way he had in "All at Sea" (
http://coa.inducks.org/issue.php/x/au/GS+433#b ).

Olivier

I can remember one other case: In WDC 61 HDL catch a burglar an get a
reward. In the following issue of WDC in the first page of the story "The
Great Ski Race", we can see the nephews playing with the reward money and
Donald making a comment about it. I can't remember his exact words, but it's
made clear that it is the money from the previous story.

There is also a loose connection between the two adventure stories in Donald
Duck Four Color 62, "Frozen Gold" and "Mystery of the Swamp". On the last
page of "Frozen Gold" Donald and nephews talk about going on vacation to a
warm place, and in the next story, there they are.

Halsten