Filler stories

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Fri Aug 4 19:27:23 CEST 2006

One thing I've been personally wondering for years are the
"filler"-stories in weeklies. For example "Big Bad Wolf",  "Hiawatha"
and others that use different universes than mice/ducks. Those have
evolved little or nothing during decades, 90% of time Zeke tries to
capture the three little pigs or Hiawatha tries to convince everyone
that he is a big warrior. (I am provocating a bit here, I know that
someone could claim duck-stories to be as one-dimensional plotwise)

On the same vein. "Bucky Bug" reads like its something aimed for 3-5
year olds. I know that Bucky is a character from old Silly Symphonies,
but I have only recently seen those new stories appearing. Anyone know
why they are making those now? Have they started to re-use to characters
in cartoons or something and then decided to make a comic version as well?

Are they popular among the readers?  Has publishers made polls or
something? I don't like them that much, so I am trying to figure out if
anyone else does.Since so many older characters are now banned by Egmont
for example Moby Duck, I just can´t get why they do stories about Bucky
Bug but not Moby Duck (except for those Italian Bay stories, which are
actually good).

Are publishers trying to meet a quota with these? Perhaps their deal
with Disney includes a clause that "requires" them to use certain
characters besides just ducks and mice.