Twins

Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Fri Aug 11 17:42:52 CEST 2006

> Thomson and Thompson from _Tintin_ immediately come to mind.  The only
> difference between them was that one had more curve in his mustache;
> it was the sort of thing that you'd miss if you blinked.  (Given Don
> Rosa's "An Eye for Detail", I'll bet Donald could have told them apart
> with little trouble.)  And Henry Boltinoff (I think) created Dover and
> Clover -- oddly enough, also a pair of twin detectives -- for DC
> Comics in the 1940s.

Dover and Clover! Of course! I even wrote about them in the Toonopedia
(http://www.toonopedia.com/doverclo.htm). (And yes, they were created by
Henry Boltinoff.) Don't know how I managed not to be able to think of
them. As for the Thompsons, I'm not a big fan of Tintin. Now that you
mention it, I recall them, but I'd never have thought of them on my own.
And now that I'm thinking a little more about it, there's also Rube
Goldberg's Mike & Ike (they look alike).

> Well, Heckle & Jeckle aren't 100% identical -- one talks with a
> British accent, and the other with a Brooklyn accent.  And are they
> really twins?  I didn't even know they were brothers (but I may have
> missed that).

Sure, Heckle and Jeckle talk differently. But even Dayton Allen, who did
both voices, didn't know which was which. The accents argue against
their actually being brothers, but related or not, they sure were identical!

Quack, Don