Gary's and Rich's comments

deanmary deanmary at zoominternet.net
Mon Dec 4 03:10:47 CET 2006

Gary, thanks so much for your recent post.  I too grew up with the 32 page format comic and have a lot of love for it as well.  However, it seems the market is (and has been for some time) going towards TPB and other book type formats and I am fine with that.  In the end the format doesn't matter very much compared to *if* there is content being printed and what the content being published is.

I think I understand a bit better now why the newsstand titles had to go away.  If I am understanding you correctly, even raising the prices of them to $3.50 or even $4.00 still would not have worked out for Gemstone economically.

I truly hope Gemstone considers a third (or fourth?) prestige title in the future.  Much of my sad thoughts about the Gemstone cancellations would be alleviated if a third monthly prestige title would be published.  If that were the case, we would be getting the same amount of pages each month as before, not counting the pocket book titles, and those look they are coming back in a Shonen Jump style format.

Chuck, thanks for your thoughts as well.  It was nice to hear that someone else would like to buy another monthly prestige title.  I totally agree with you in the desire to see much more new material.  To me it is like there is a huge "dam" of new stories out there in Europe, but that we have to settle for a tiny "trickle" of new stories to come out here! :(  I know there will never be enough new stories printed for my satisfaction, but with the loss of the 4 titles it seems like even the "trickle" is barely flowing now! :(

I think there are *so* many opportunities with TPBs in the future and am cautiously optimistic about them.  You could have TPBs dedicated to a certain creator.  You could have TPBs focused on a certain theme or character.  The possibilities are almost endless!  I still think the key is for them to filled with either all or mostly new stories.  I realize that Gemstone thinks they need to publish a lot of re-re-reprints, and perhaps they are right.  However, I would at least like for them to try a few TPBs with mostly or all new material to see if they would sell well.  I think they would, but who knows?  You will never know unless you try though.  I hope after the two TPBs coming out this summer that they try a few focused on new material.  BTW, if the TPBs are going to produced on a regular basis, how often are they going to come out?  Monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, etc.  Just curious.  I would love for there to be a monthly Walt Disney Treasures TPB!  Does that sound like a good idea to anyone else on the list?

Dean Rekich