About Face...

Jonathan H. Gray jongraywb at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 14 23:20:04 CEST 2006

Simple question that Ive been meaning to ask but never have.

Why are the faces of the main and sub-characters (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy,
Horace, and Clarabelle) in Mickey Mouse's stories left uncolored? I know
that during Dell and Gladstone printing quality wasnt exactly the best to
pull this off, but after Disney started doing it I always wondered why it
never stuck. Especially considering that plenty of other countries that
print the duck and mice comics apply color instead of opting for black and
white as well. Just curious.

I know that the general answer was always "for consistency with the way the
Dell books used to look." But to be honest it can sometimes be a bit
distracting. in Egmont stories and everywhere else outside the USA, as fas
as I know, even other publishers have thier faces colored. I was always very
surprised that after Disney's tenure the standards of coloring at least for
the mouse world were never maintained at least in those regards.I could
perfectly understand whiteface on the classic stuff, but the more modern
Mickey stuff....I dunno how it would work or what would be best really, so
I'm just fishing for opinions on what others think..

Just curious about it is all.

Jonathan H. Gray