No subject

Thu Mar 23 15:47:28 CET 2006

Ferioli's beautiful art. It makes me want to frame it and hang it on the
wall - but that would of course make a strange gap in the magazine.

Mickey and Goofy are in a country called Nibet, to see a monk called
Damai Lali fly. This monk is a young child, and he has the ability to
empty his mind of all thoughts - obviously the requirement for a flying
career. Mickey finds this difficult to do, while Goofy... well, you know.
He floats in the air, telling that he doesn't believe it's possible to
fly.
Then enters The Phantom Blot. And this is the real one, not that
handkerchief from the eighties. He kidnaps the young monk, because he
wants to learn how to fly. Our two friends follow him into the mountains,
and with the help of Goofy's flying and a spherical stone Mickey finds
in the ice, they manage to save the kid.

The story is pretty good, but at first I didn't quite like that stone
suddenly appearing. It seemed like a too easy way out of a story, just
like that Donald Duck story in the last issue... er... something I'm not
getting here? A third stone story the next week did indeed tell me there
was more to these stones.

Number five is an old one-pager (KF 07-15-51).

Story number six is a Junior Woodchuck story (D 98093, 6 pages), written
by Paul Halas and Jack Sutter, and drawn by Millet.

In this story the Woodchucks have a trip in the forest with their parents,
and in HDL's case, Donald Duck. As usual this Duck brags about his
abilities to survive in the forest, which attracts some angry looks from
the other parents.
In good accordance to his personality, Donald starts on a short cut,
and... gets lost. He hurts himself on a bush, and hurts himself more when
trying to heal it with a poisonous plant. It starts to snow, and it all
looks rather bad. Then, for some reason, a truck appears, and it is pulled
up from whereever it was by another truck.

I don't think I've ever seen a story being ended in a simpler way. Here
we have four Ducks, cold, angry, hungry and lost. Then, standing in deep
snow is suddenly a truck there, and they can just let themselves being
saved by being pulled up by another truck. Er... something missing here?
Will I soon see another truck mysteriously appearing in a story about
Mickey's nephews? (none so far...)

Number seven is about Mad Madam Mim (D 98072, 2 pages), written by
Per Hedman, and drawn by Millet. Hedman is writing a _lot_ of stories.
Sometimes I like them, but usually I think they are too simple. There's
got to be a few stories of that kind, I guess, since a great part of the
market is young children. But still, I didn't like that kind of stories
myself when being a bit younger than I am now.

In this story Mim has the noble intention of helping a rather miserable
actor imitate a gorilla by doing some magic through a closed door. But by,
accidentally, actually making him a gorilla, she scares the producer a
little too much.

Number eight is another old one-pager (KF 01-21-51)

Number ten is a story about Scrooge McDuck and Goldstein Glomgold
(D 98285, 12 pages), written by Paul Halas, and drawn by Colomer.

Usually Scrooge doesn't care much about aristocracy, but when Glomgold
suddenly becomes a baron, and starts to frequent in circles that are
closed to McDuck, it becomes a bit too difficult to swallow that he
doesn't have any titles himself. More so when he thinks about all the
money belonging in those circles.
Scrooge starts to hunt for a title for himself, but the only possibility
he finds is an ancestor who once lost his title. The lord who now owns
it, whom Scrooge visits, seems to be as careful with his money as McDuck
himself. But then it shows up that he actually doesn't have any. He does
have one thing though - a permission from some king to sell titles. And
he has sold one recently, to Glomgold.
This makes Scrooge happy, since he believes that the real aristocrats
then won't take Glomgold's title seriously. He goes to a party for the
aristocracy, dressed as a servant, to observe what happens. And he finds
that he's actually wrong. The aristocrats are very interested in Glomgold,
since he's the only one at the party (except for Scrooge) who has any
money. They all attack him with demands that he should pay all their
expences so the aristocracy can keep up the appearance - to Scrooge's
great joy.

I like this story. Halas draws up the lines for several possible plots,
and not until just before the ending do we see what really happens. And
Colomer has done an excellent job with the art.

Number eleven, another old one-pager (KF 12-25-60), makes a nice ending
to the issue.

Also with this issue was the first part of this year's Christmas calendar.

   Jorgen