DCML Digest, Vol 37, Issue 12

Leo Schulte schulte at teacher.com
Tue Mar 14 13:40:20 CET 2006

Greetings!

I wrote earlier:

  I also ascribe to the "s-apostrophe" rather than the "s-apostrophe-s"
  rule, which seems illogical, and is, because Americans at least will
  ad an extra "s" as in Barkses stories when they pronounce the
  possessive of Barks.  Still, I have never liked the way it looks!
  And so, even though the sound is there, I will not write an extra
  gentive "s" for a word ending in -s.

  Illogical, but that's English!

Mr. Markstein wrote:
No it isn't. Not correct English, anyway. Tell me, do you also "ascribe"
(look it up) to the practice of using an apostrophe to form plurals?
That, too, is a popular but grossly incorrect way of dealing with English
nouns.

Ascribe has been looked up.

If you re-read what I wrote, I agree with you!  I just do not like the
way it looks!