Gladstone II versus Gemstone Mickey question + OT recommendation

deanmary deanmary at zoominternet.net
Fri Mar 24 04:35:40 CET 2006

Perhaps someone could help me with this question.  In most of the Mickey stories published by Gladstone II by such artists as Noel Van Horn, Ferioli, etc., Mickey usually wore some sort of shirt and slacks.  Since Gemstone has started publishing though, most of the times even when drawn by the same artists, he usually is shirtless and only has on his red shorts, in other words, his more classic look.  Can anyone tell me why this change happened?  Were some artists told by Egmont to start drawing Mickey with a more traditional look?  Or during Gladstone II were images of Mickey redrawn so that he had a shirt and slacks on?  I personally like the more classic look myself, but mostly am just curious for the reason for this change.

Now for an off topic recommendation.  Until the fall of 2004 I had never read a Little Lulu story.  I had heard of and seen the character, but never read a story with her.  I went into my local comic book store and saw the first volume of Little Lulu reprints by Dark Horse comics.  Since the price was reasonable and I liked the art, on a lark I bought a copy.  Since then I have become a big fan of Little Lulu comics and think many people that enjoy Disney comics would also enjoy Lulu comics as well.  I think Dark Horse has about 7 or 8 volumes out now.  From what I can tell, some people really miss seeing these stories in color (the Dark Horse collections are in black and white).  However, since I have never read the stories in color, it is not like I can miss what I have never seen.  I actually enjoy seeing the art in BW though and greatly enjoy how it looks.  I can't explain just why, but these Little Lulu stories have the same type of charm and quality that Barks' stories have.  I think most people that enjoy Barks' classic 10 pagers would really enjoy reading some of these classic Lulu tales.  Just my two cents! :)

Dean Rekich