DCML Digest, Vol 45, Issue 4

kimba1962 at comcast.net kimba1962 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 10 02:34:13 CET 2006

Regarding David G's recent reply:  All things considered, I think Gemstone's done a pretty fair job balancing reprints with new material.  Things are getting tight now due to circumstances beyond the company's control, namely, the exhaustion of the "Rosa backlog" and Bill Van Horn's slower pace as he heads for retirement.  I would urge Gemstone to take some of the material that would have appeared in the pocket books and run it in the regular titles.  This is especially true of the Scarpa stories.  So what if they're three-panel tales -- Bill VH used the same format during his run on Disney Comics' Donald Duck Adventures and produced some of his finest work.  I'd even accept this material's appearing in serialized format, as long as a decent amount of unseen material continued to be printed as a result.

I am rather disappointed, though not surprised, in the decision to reprint "Scrooge's Quest".  Bob Langhans' "The Gold Odyssey" was a superior story by almost any standard.  Unfortunately, he doesn't possess the "name recognition" of Marv Wolfman.  Dare we hope for a second collection?...

Chris Barat