Various subjects

deanmary deanmary at zoominternet.net
Sat Nov 18 01:17:01 CET 2006

First off, I want to *again* thank David and Gary for sharing their thoughts on this mailing list.  It is so nice that people who work for Gemstone take the time to answer our questions, complaints, etc., on this mailing list.  They already have full time jobs and do not have the slightest obligation to contribute to this mailing list at all.  Yet they do.  Do I agree with all of David and Gary's views?  No.  However that does not diminish *in the least* my gratitude that they take the time and effort to contribute to this list.

I was *very* interested to read Travis Seitler's thoughts in the latest DCML digest.  I must admit that I totally agree with him about the way Gemstone should handle the re-reprints versus "first time in the USA stories": completely separating the reprints and first run stories.  This way people like me and others who want to primarily read new stories could skip the reprint titles.  (Having said that though, I am *really* hoping there are Barks, Rosa, etc. archival libraries in the future!)  On the other hand, people like Rodney and others could focus on reprint stories and not have to buy titles that have new stories that they do not like in them.

So my big question for David and/or Gary is why aren't they following Travis's idea?  Of course neither of you have to answer this, but boy would I love to hear your thoughts! :)  If there are reasons why Gemstone does not want to split titles between reprints and new titles, *or* if this is not possible economically for some reason, could you please explain why?  I'm sure it is more complicated and complex than I probably can fully grasp, but I would really like to try to understand why Gemstone can't and/or won't choose this "solution".  And if someone who actually works for Gemstone (Travis) sees a problem with the current situation, then I don't feel near as bad about myself seeing a problem! :)

Onto another subject.  I have a question for people on this list who are knowledgeable about paper and paper prices.  Does the price of paper fluctuate a lot?  Could in a year or two paper prices be significantly lower than the are today?  They reason I ask is it affects the future of parts of Gemstone to my way of thinking.  If paper prices really go up and down, then having MM&F, MMA, DD&F, and DDA back in the next couple years is a real possibility.  However, if the price of paper goes up, *and* just keeps going up, then while these titles *might* come back some day, it is much more improbable.

Thanks in advance for the upcoming comments and ideas that we will (hopefully) hear about on the DCML in the upcoming days.  I just hope that everyone can keep their feelings in perspective and realize that everyone on this list shares a love of Disney comics!  While we may have differences in how Gemstone should go about printing things, our commonality in loving Disney comics is much greater than any differences we may have!  If in any way my initial posts about my concerns and worries about reprints and other issues came across as mean-spirited, too negative, etc., I sincerely apologize.

Dean Rekich