South Seas

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Mon Nov 20 16:51:44 CET 2006

Daniel:

> I wonder why editors want to
> recolour old comics, even including rarities like 'Race to the
> South Seas'.
> I've understood that a recent Gemstone-reprint of 'Race to the
> South Seas'
> (in 'Disney Treasures') has been pasted together from several sources,
> including art by Jippes. Personally I strongly dislike such a frauded
> version.

Then you'll love the version that will appear in Egmont's CBC. The
goal was to present the nearest thing to Bark's line art as could be
managed (it no longer exists as original art or reproducible stats),
and preserve the printed color as far as was possible. It was no
small task to achieve, since the ink coverage and color registration
on the source material - the original give-away - was abominable. It
required cleaning up the line art without retouching it AND get the
color into registration AND correct any mistakes by the original
colorist AND eliminate as much as possible of the sheer garbage
caused by the original dirt-cheap printing process.

For the record - and it's on record - Daan Jippes and David Gerstein
are credited with restoration on the version of "Race to the South
Seas" in "Disney Treasures".

Gary