Scrooge's feet wrapped in cloth strips

Larry Giver lgiver at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 21 08:41:43 CEST 2006

     I read Don Rosa's "Prisoner of White Agony Creek" in the new Gemstone
Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck Companion, and I was surprised to see that
Scrooge's feet were bare.  Rosa's previous stories of Scrooge's Klondike
gold rush days showed him wearing improvised shoes of cloth strips most of
the time.  In the flashback portion of "Last Sled to Dawson" even Casey
Coot wears them.  Scrooge wears them in Chapter 8 "King of the Klondike"
and 8C "Hearts of the Yukon".  Now in his new story 8B, Scrooge wears them
on the cover, but has bare feet throughout the story.  Why is that?
     The new story "Prisoner of White Agony Creek" incorporates several
panels from Barks' originally censored flashback portion of "Back to the
Klondike", and Scrooge was barefoot in all the flashback portion of Barks'
Klondike story, despite the snow.  So Rosa had to leave Scrooge barefoot in
order to be faithful to the original Barks' story he was elaborating.  So
what is the origin of Scrooge's foot wrappings?  It's not anywhere in
Barks' "Back to the Klondike".  Indeed, it's in Barks' first long Scrooge
story, "Only a Poor Old Man", page 7 panel 8.  As far as I know, that one
flashback panel is the only time Barks showed Scrooge wearing
foot-wrappings in a comic story.
			---Larry Giver.