DCML Digest, Vol 52, Issue 10 (3-tier stories)

kimba1962 at comcast.net kimba1962 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 14 16:46:11 CEST 2007

Gary Leach wrote:

> A fair stockpile of 3-tier stories were acquired for DDA and MMA
> before the two titles were cancelled. These stories represent a
> sizable investment (and are not "returnable"). While we don't see
> using them in WDC and US as an optimum solution, we also don't see
> any sense in just leaving them sitting on the shelf.
> I agree that not all of these stories are gems, but I do think they
> get short-shrift in general from some readers simply because they
> don't conform to the more familiar 4-tier format, which does have a
> definite effect on the look, pacing and narrative construction of a
> tale.

I suspect the latter statement is true... but one shouldn't confuse dislike of the format with dislike of the particular stories being printed.  The identity of the artist plays a major role in how these stories come across to the reader. Some of the 3-tier artists, like Fecchi, are sufficiently skilled that "blowing up" their artwork doesn't make much of a difference.  Applying the same treatment to the work of Bancells, Miguel, and their ilk only amplifies their shortcomings.  Gemstone will have to be very careful when picking from the pool of stockpiled stories if it wishes to maintain the overall quality standards of its remaining regular titles.

Chris Barat

--
The Barat's Home Page -- watch for weekly updates!http://home.comcast.net/~kimba1962