Re rewriting

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Thu Jun 21 18:40:12 CEST 2007

Frank:

> If a careful publisher wants to publish a good story and receives a
> poor translation of it, the correct solution is not to reinvent
> some random new dialogue for it (particularly if written by someone
> who can't even read and appreciate the original story) but to
> commission a better *translation*.

This, however, is precisely what is restricted by the constraints on
time, budget and staff of a small publishing house. And quite a lot
of scripts we get, particularly these days, are not translations, but
English scripts by the writers themselves, so there's nothing from
which to get anything "better".

We don't just "Americanize" scripts of non-American writers, either.
Even American writers have to strive for a degree of idiomatic
neutrality when writing for Egmont and Disney Italy, and this can
result in as flat a dialogue script as anything from a non-American.
While these rarely call for a full-scale rewrite (in fact, I don't
recall any that required it), the editing that has to be done on some
of them can come fairly close.

Gary