The CBC

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Thu Apr 3 19:27:07 CEST 2008

Munango-Keewati wrote:

> I'm curious. Does anyone know what technology is used today in
> producing this books? Years ago there would have been color
> separations done by hand for each of the four colors. Is it all
> digital now? Is coloring done on a computer?

Color is pretty much all done on computer now. The "traditional"
methods are definitely a thing of the past, at least in commercial
terms. It certainly is so with comics.

Gemstone would not have to go to the time and expense that once would
have been required to redo the color, but time and expense are still
involved.

And no, Barks did not color his comic book stories. Very few comics
artists did (or do). A key reason for this is that publishers, for a
good long while, saw coloring as production, not creation. Many still
do. And even today they want artists drawing, not doing something
that can be done much more quickly and at less cost by others.

Gary