Slipping Sales

Arthur arthurdewolf at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 13:05:17 CEST 2010

Carl Lund wrote:
> What strikes me as interesting is that when my copies of Picsou, the blessedly
> humongous French edition of Uncle Scrooge for any who don't know, arrive
> (mangled thanks to international mail), I see a plethora of reprints in a title that is
> clearly geared to kids.  Of course, I don't have its circulation figures, so maybe it
> sells poorly also.

Picsou Magazine in France has a monthly print run of 185,000 (source:
http://bit.ly/b35YN6).

I too am unmoved by the current stories that BOOM! selects for their
comics. The only stories I've really enjoyed so far are those by Casty
in WDC&S. To think that Barks and Rosa stories would be unsuitable for
a young audience is in my opinion illogical, because in other
countries these same stories still do well among kids and they were
originally written for kids in the first place.

I think that BOOM! has shot itself in the foot by picking these long
multi-part stories. Sales can only go down when you have a multi-part
series like Ultraheroes or Wizards of Mickey as people who originally
purchased the first few issues lose interest and others don't want to
start in the middle. Add to that the reprinting of these stories in
paperback format that people can just wait for instead of buying the
monthly comics.

IMHO, BOOM! would be better off selecting a variety of short stories
in U$ and WDC&S, with some classics and more traditional stories to
please old fans like us, and keep the long Italian adventure stories
in the trade paperbacks.

Regards,
Arthur