The Death of Scrooge ?!?

F. A. Elliott eliot508 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 06:41:57 CEST 2000

Well, in particular, I was thinking about the story
Don Rosa did, where Scrooge celebrates 50 years in
Duckburg. That would be (what) 1952 or 1954. So that
story would take place 5-7 years after the night on
Bear Mountain in 1947.
     Then, again, I think Mr. Rosa once said that in
his opinion Carl Barks didn't really get his version
of the duck universe rolling until about this time. So
I would've agreed with you...
     That is, until Mr. Rosa posted an e-mail on this
page stating that he does in fact have some final
story slowing coming together in his head.
     Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to
afford whatever his prices are to have it downloaded
into my head in 2032!
     All in all, I stand by my belief that there has
to be a beginning, middle and ending to all things to
make them eternal or universial. This is why most all
comic books in my opinion fall flat because there's no
sense of closure. They just go on forever.
     At least we got to see what Superman's death may
have been like. At the end of Funeral For a Friend Pa
Kent drops dead from a heart attack, due to all the
stress of losing Clark, while Martha is wailing,"Why?"
Exactly, "Why?" I think it's just a wonderful moment,
and, heh, it ends with a sunset.
     So, that's as close as will ever get to seeing
Superman dying. And, characters that popular should
have closure. Even though they're just comics, and I
enjoy reading them, I think closure (even the
foreshadowing of it done with Superman) should be
built into the framework of every story.
     Like in Star Trek II with Kirk, Spock, McCoy and
the Kobyashimarue Test. Everybody has to face death
eventually, and in his or her own way. We can't
rewrite the program... we have to experiece it. Head
on!
     Anyway, I do respect and find your opinion
interesting. So befoe I get anymore off topic...

God bless,

F.A. Elliott.

--- Clément_Le_Hyaric <p.lehyaric at free.fr> wrote:
> F.A. Elliott wrote:
>
> "Still, I'm the kind of person that thinks every
> great fictional story needs
> to have a beginning, middle, and ending. I also
> think Don Rosa is a stickler
> for continuity, at least in the time frame or
> universe that Carl Barks laid
> down. So, I'm going to ask him or any of you a
> question that's probably been
> asked before. Is there a story to be told (imaginary
> or as you truly
> see it) where we see the final days of Scrooge
> McDuck? If yes, then how do
> you see it panning out? [...] Don Rosa's already
> handled the death of
> Scrooge's parents with finite tact. Why not Scrooge
> himself? At least in an
> imaginary story? Hmm, time
> will tell...time will tell... No matter what, I say
> we have to have that
> "sunset!" Another Rainbow - meets - The Final
> Sunset. God bless".
>
> ***
>
> Really, what a strange idea! A few weeks ago, I
> wrote a mail in order to
> defend Don Rosa's vision of Barks' universe (as a
> logical and historic
> universe more than a fantasy one). Nevertheless, I
> think that the logic and
> historic context of Barks' and Don's stories is only
> meant to serve as
> moving and acting rules for their characters (the
> reader is very pleased to
> see the true, real history experienced, lived by an
> "alternative people").
> It must not influence directly the characters
> themself, or mark them in a
> indelible
> way, because Barks' or Rosa's Ducks DON'T BECOME
> anymore : they ARE and HAVE
> BEEN, but they become no longer. Only REAL ducks
> grow old (you know: the
> ones which don't speak but say 'quack quack').
> Barks' and Rosa's ducks have
> a past and a present, but not a future. Don (who
> will tell me if I'm wrong)
> has written "Life and Times of Scrooge Mc Duck" to
> relate how Scrooge has
> become what he IS: this "IS" is eternal and
> untemporal; Scrooge will not
> become anymore and - so - he'll never die. Moreover,
> although Barks has
> constructed his universe as an "open" universe, he
> certainly hopes that no
> drawer will "kill" one of his characters - which
> would change his universe
> into a "closed" universe.
> It is only my opinion (a fan opinion) and, of
> course, yours is as
> respectable, but I absolutely disagree: I'd HATE a
> story which would tell us
> the death of Scrooge Mc Duck (or any other Disney
> character).
>
> Clement Le Hyaric-

=====
The 'one' who has a finger on 'it'... scratches against the mahogany lining of a coffin crying, "I am Jonah! I am Jonah! Spit me back out so I may see and feel the light of day again." And, the levithan does not heed for it knows every great epic must come to an 'end.'
A tasty morsel known as... "understanding."  (F.A. Elliott)