Duckburg and the World Cup

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Tue Jun 4 11:13:53 CEST 2002

SIGVALD:

> I don't think so. It's completely normal to describe
> oneself after ones city or region in addition to the
> national description. The situation decides when to
> use what description. For example it is totally normal
> to say some thing like "September 11th was a though
> experience for the New Yorkers".

Well, yes and no. One can call themselves using the name of their
town when referring to events in that town, such as a disaster, or to
local sporting events against a team from another town, e.g., a game
with Goosetown (where there can even be a further subdivisions, e.g.,
northsiders vs. southsiders), but when one is referring to more than
just one's home town, one doesn't use the town's name.  You don't talk
about the New Yorker consul, just because the US consul in your area
happens to be from New York!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Me, confuse the issue? | My dear fellow, you're doing a very good job
 yourself.  I mean, I'm not even sure what the issue is any more, and even if
 I did, the last thing I'd do would be to attempt to confuse it."
-----