J.A.R.G.O.N. and "Glorp"!

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Wed Oct 1 08:29:14 CEST 2003

MICHIEL:

> How about "o Ippeus Melas glwrpei palin"?

(For all those to whom the above phrase may look like Greek, a word for word
translation from ancient Greek would be "the rider black glorps again".)

Well, if you switch the order of "melas" and "ippeus", you might get something
that a a handful of Greeks might understand and might even find amusing. The
"-ei" suffix is, the longer I think about it, the most appropriate, though not
one that I would have thought to use, and the use of an omega instead of an
omicron seems to me, though I do not know why, a stroke of genius.

Unfortunately, if this title were to be used, most readers (and definitely all
young readers) would read the above as:

Then there's the problem of gamma being a soft consonant (similar to the sound
you make when pronouncing "water" in English), which does not convey the sound
  of the "glorp" effect.

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"One small step for Mankind, one great leap, or words to that effect."
-----